Friday 13 January 2012

Photography Gyan # 1

I was looking at writing tips on Bokeh photography, but it sounded a bit complicated to explain.  So thought that it's better to start with simple basic rules as they are really important to understand photography!
 


To all my friends who take photos everyday, here's a question to you.  Have you completely understood the meaning of Exposure, Aperture, ISO, Shutter Speed etc?  These are the most fundamental aspects of photography.  


To me they were Greek and Latin until I got my SLR.  And I did not listen or study Physics properly during my school days...ha!  But when SLR threw me with so many challenges, I decided to learn them then.  Sometimes we think why do we need to know the science of photography and features of your camera.  It is as important as you want to learn to take better photos.  The more you understand your camera and concepts of photography, the better you will get.  


While I had point and shoot (SONY), I would just take pictures..1000s of them in different angles without even knowing what I was doing.  The outcome was that out of 100 pictures 10 would be good.  Then I explored the point and shoot's features without understanding their meaning.  But I got there, not 100%.  Sometimes I wonder why I couldn't get what I am expecting.  I had no answer.  But now I have.  Because I understood the science behind it!


If you want to hit it right with the same outcome you are expecting, it is best to master the concepts!


What better source to understand these.  Go to Wikipedia!
You can take amazing photos in any camera  - be it in mobile, point and shoot, analog or digital!  A bit of technicality, a bit of aesthetic and some creativity is all you need to get your dream capture!


I will share some of the learnings that I had while travelling in this journey.  If you have better ideas, please do share them with me, my quench to learn photography is never ending!


Today's learning point:  Take a camera wherever you go:-


Make this a practice and you will see for yourself the change.  A few days back I did not take my camera, and it happened to be a full moon day.  I saw the fully bloomed, bright moon that day, but could not capture her!  I regret so much!  Trust me, if you don't take your camera, you might be missing your million dollar picture!   

10 comments:

  1. This is a very useful series (especially to me). I will want to know about digital photography, I am just using the iAuto mode for all pictures right now! The auto mode is quite good, better than my cell phone at least. I have tried taking a shot of full moon both with my cell phone camera and point and shoot camera, but I got only a smaller dot/ bigger dot in the picture!

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an SLR now and know very basic things about using it in the manual mode. I will look forward to more of your posts on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have both an Nikon SLR and an old point and shoot kind of small handy digital camera. When I can't carry the SLR, I make it a point to always carry the small one, as I know, I might need it any time, to catch something interesting.
    Waiting for your lessons. I am very weak in both science and maths, both are very important for most of the things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will I will ...
    I am going ot have my hands on my new cannon on 23rd jan..

    Thanks Keep bringing these gyan's pleaseee for the likes of me ..

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have shot 100s of my baby's pictures but hardly a handful are actually great shots. I have a basic digital camera by Olympus.

    Eagerly looking forward to your tips and tricks for trying them from the internet is too much a call at this time in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @DI: I hope the gyans will give you some help. Trust me DI, I don't get the photos of moon either. I'm still exploring them. I have a telescopic zoom lens, even with which, I can't get anything better than the a 5Rs coin :(

    @ Rachna - I should learn from you :) Do share your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Rama - Same I do! It's easy to carry small cameras inside the handbag. Do share your photographic experiences :)
    I will try to write as best possible that I've learnt. But honestly, I am still learning!

    @Bikk - Oooh Canon Vs.Nikon ;)
    You are already a great photographer...all your TC pictures are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @The Era : Olympus is a great camera! I know :) I've been there, done that! With your Pari growing faster, you would love to capture those tiny moments in your cam :) Hope these gyans will give you some tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!! I look forward to this Gyan Series!!
    And as for today's Gyan, I follow that very religiously! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel I am reading about myself here.. I jsut take 100s of pictures and out of those, only a few are good. By the time I slow became familiar with my camera and its features, I broke it (dropped it on the ground). Got myself a new P&S and am yet to explore this one.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and keep visiting.. :)

    ReplyDelete