Tuesday 12 June 2012

Anne Frank's Birthday

Today is Anne Frank's birthday.  This day marks as what would have been her 83rd birthday.
 All that I knew of Anne Frank from school days were through an English prose chapter "Ode to my fountain pen" - that was it.  After marriage, when we planned to make a visit to Netherlands, I came across Anne Frankhuis, and started to read articles about her.  

Then  I grabbed a local copy of the book "The Diary of a Young Girl" and completed with tears rolling through my eyes!  Such an immense and inspiring story - well a true story. And then when I visited Anne Frank house in a week's time after reading, the whole book flashed like a movie in front of me.  It was such an emotional moment then.  Anne Frank House & Museum in Amsterdam is a must visit whether you know or not about world history.  It was the hiding place for Anne Frank when she wrote her diary during the Second World War.  We saw what was once their bed room, hiding place, office room etc.  

Tourist info is that this is always a crowded spot, so book the tickets online to avoid the que.  I waited for about 2 hours (longer than my Tirupati Darshan) to get in.  I can't describe the experience in words.  It's a place that's quite, respectful, moving, full of history and inspiring!  
Happy Birthday to you Anne Frank!

PS: If you don't know about Anne Frank, click here.  
  

9 comments:

  1. Hmm, Interesting! I haven't read the book but heard of it. May be worth give a try huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember this chapter very well. Later once i read a few more chapters in digest. Moving story.I guess Bindu miss in our school days had pinned down hard all these stories on to our heads. I remember 'with the photographer', OHenry's gift of the maggi. Wonderful to recollect all of them.

      Delete
    2. It is definitely a worthy read! Let me know your thoughts after reading!

      Delete
  2. BTW the look on the blog looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. not heard about Anne ever .. GOD wat world do i live in :(



    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! You visited Anne Frank Museum!! I remember reading The Diary of a Young Girl, loooong back... in college, I believe!! A fantastic and such a moving account!! Will read it again, now that you have reminded about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know about Anne Frank but I could never bring myself to read it , knowing that it details the horrors of World War II...Nice info...Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was there too. What a place it was! Moving around those rooms was a touching experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is my pleasure to discovered and read this kind of blog. I am looking a post like this and thank God I found yours. Big thanks for sharing. Awesome post.

    Are you interested to know about CA DMV.

    ReplyDelete