Monday 26 March 2012

Photography Gyan # 8 (Stranger Photography)

Moving away from technicalities of photography, I am going to talk today about taking pictures of strangers.  Don't think I'm weird.  Portrait photography is an interesting and deep topic to discuss just in this post.  And I'm too far from being a good portrait photographer.  This is also equally a challenging styles of photography.


Taking a picture of a stranger can be either candid or asking them.   Capturing their candid manners, attire or activity is very easy.  But having to approach a total stranger is a difficult job.  
Start with people whom you might encounter on your travel - cab driver or a shop keeper.  These are the people who are so proud of their work and would never say no. A good start isn't it?
I've seen some gorgeous people whom I wanted to capture, but often I couldn't dare to ask them if I can take their picture.  
Another tip to this is, befriend them, have a crisp and nice conversation, and then ask to take a portrait.  I've started doing this and found a great satisfaction in the result of the photo.  



Taking the picture of children is a bit trickier, because you definitely need to get permission from their parents.  Often most of them hesitate.  Here are a cute twins I met at a trip to southern Spain.  While these kids were passing by me, I just noticed how beautiful they were.  Just asked them if I could take a picture of them, and their parents readily said yes.   After taking a couple of pictures, I showed all of them to their parents who were really happy to see them in my camera.  




I still have inhibition to ask and I'm still no good at this.  But I guess I've started to enjoy the flavour of stranger photography.  

6 comments:

  1. I generally don't include people in my photos. Even if they appear accidentally in some of my photos, I try to avoid uploading it to my blog. I don't want to take pictures of strangers - maybe I am apprehensive of approaching them and asking them for it.

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly DI, even I m not comfortable taking them. But that's the best way to develop portrait photography! I'm still apprehensive to talk to people..it will be weird..or more than that - they would think that we are weird!

      Delete
  2. read all your posts on photography! thanks for all the gyan! do u have a photo blog too? and couldnt find link to your flickr stream in side bar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For one of my photographer friends, street photography is a cakewalk. He walks down crowded markets clicking pictures left and right, complimenting people, smiling at kids and showing pictures on the camera lcd bringing a smile on their faces. I personally, am still spooked a bit when it comes to taking pictures of absolute strangers :)

    ReplyDelete