Wednesday 7 July 2010

Celebrity galore

-->
I have known him from the times of his first few hit songs like manja kaatu maina, aval ulaga azhagiye.  I was falling for him his voice, that I became his ardent fan, which was ruled by one and only SPB

And one day while listening to one of his songs from the movie Star, my dad interrupted, “I know this guy who has sung this song”.

I jumped  from the sofa, “Really? How?”.  

“He is my colleagues’s son”, dad said.

And I started asking him too many questions “Have you met him?”, “Have you been to their house”, “We never knew that you had such a friend in SRF”,that he got annoyed and said “Enough.  Now go and study”.

I was so certain, that one day I am sure to meet him.  And the further hits he made , made a lasting impression on me, that he is the recent best.  Am sure he was!!

He had hits after hits, and he was so famous, and I was so sad, that I wasn’t able to meet him even a single time, and say “I am your ardent fan, and I love your songs so much”.   Days and years went by, and one fine day, my dad told that he is going to get married. I thought his family will invite us on the wedding, and I will get a chance to meet him.  But, they kept the marriage simple up to their relatives. 

What friends they are?? Can’t they invite my dad to his house atleast once with the family??  For his marriage,  kolu or one of thousand other occasions??

I was upset with myself and for my dad, for not able to see him once.  Then again, months rolled by, and I got married, and again months rolled by. 

2 months back, while in Chennai,I had more than a few chances to watch the IPL matches at Chepauk, when I had a distant view of Karthik singing and cheering up the crowd.  I couldn’t even see his face clearly but in the TV display.  Add to my dismay.  I cursed myself!$#%$#&%

Later sometime, our family went for a dinner at Veg Nation, one of the infamous (is it famous?) restaurants in Chennai Anna Salai.   

When we entered, I was busy talking with my husband, and my Dad burst out saying “Hi…What a surprise?  Eppadi irukeenga" (means How are you?).   

When I looked up, what I saw I couldn’t believe even today. It was Karthik sitting before me along with his family.  That's when I came to know that both of Karthik’s parents were working along with my dad. 

Karthik was wearing some simple black T-Shirt and jean, seated along with his wife.  She was wearing a simple thread woven salwar suit.   She was very pretty. And my eyes moved towards their little  princess.  She was even more cuter, at the age of must be 18-20 months older. 

My father went and sat near them and started chatting while we waited, no sooner, my dad raised to us and introduced us.  The very moment I had been longing for has come.  And he said “This is my wife”, “This is my son-in-law”, “and this is my daughter”.   

I immediately told all that I wanted to say in these years "Hi Karthik.  I am such a die-hard fan of yours.  You sing extremely well..."   He just smiled, and remained silent. 

Then we went to our seat to begin making orders for dinner.  After sometime, his parents(both) came to our place and started their conversation all over again.  This time they took their little princes along with them. 10 minutes passed, Karthik and his wife came, just standing on their side, as a gesture to leave the hotel.  He smiled and vanished. 

Me to S:  “I couldn’t fathom it.   Are these celebrities always like this?  When they see a normal person, do they behave so abnormal, not even to say hello, hi, or talk something and react?”

S:“Why do you say so”?

Me: “Because, I have been longing to see him, and when I saw him I got no response from him.  He thinks too big of himself, not wanting to talk with ordinary people, not even to his father’s friend”.

S:“Okay.  So that is it.  What do you want him to do.  To fall in your feet and say “Oh..thank you so much for your love for my songs.  I am blessed for that.  I am so happy that I have such a die hard fan like you”.  Is this what you expect”?

Even before I started to show my reaction,

S: “He was way normal.  You are strange, and imagining too my things that a person can do to a stranger”. 

Grrrrr.   

And I had my dinner silently :(

And for now, I continue to hear his songs, having satisfied that I atleast met him.  No further comments!!   Here are some of my favorite songs sung by him (not in the particular order)...
















and ofcourse his latest hit....



1 comment:

  1. You know, you might be lucky to get that moment of surprise- the moment that you longed for! And to be honest, it is just the momentary thrill that you might experience and not the incident over all :-)

    ReplyDelete