Thursday 15 July 2010

Are you team Edward or team Jacob??

-->
“I can give you more than him. He probably can’t even kiss you without hurting you” - Werewolf to Bella Swan
“I know she’s in love with you but she’s in love with me too. She just doesn’t admit it.”-  Werewolf to the Vampire


This is what you will find in Twilight Saga: Eclipse and many more like these...

Book Saga:
When a book is transformed into a movie, it should meet the expectations that readers of the book held.  But, in reality, there are more movies that slaughter their legacies.  So, with eclipse, I had no expectations.  True! I found the novel elaborate and "aracha-maave-arachi" types.  It was my least favorite of all four.  To be honest I thought the movie was better than the book because it only took up 2 hours as opposed to a couple of weeks, and still, the movie managed to cover all the vital point of the novel, which is a huge achievement to Director Slade.

Pale face and Makeup Saga:
Edward is back, this time even paler, as if in severe need of a top-up. With poor sumptuous make-up  , he looked like a powder factory aka clown in some scenes, which could have been avoided.  Albeit with the pale looks, he was disgustingly sweet and I thought he had more screen time than the new moon.

Shirtless werewolf Saga:
The biggest scream and laughter sprung from the audience when Lautner’s Jacob appears bare chest.  He’s almost, all the time shirtless, or rips off his shirt and run! And he claims to Edward in one of the scenes “I am hotter than you”.  He had some melodramatic dialogues throughout, like the ones in the starting of this post and “You have to consider the idea, that I might be better for her than you are” and  “I am in love with you Bella, and I want you to pick me instead of him”. 

Annoying Saga:
She, the queen of twilight, Bella Swan prolongs to be torn between two “men” who love her and can’t decide what she wants to do with her life.  I found her irksome when she gives” I’ve-got-something-stuck-in-my-throat” kind of expression. She seems incapable of letting any of her million dollar expressions/emotions cross her face, which is a disgrace, considering her previous experiences.   And it was a total disappointment even for her fans like my husband who came with me to only jollu vittyfy her.  Even the attires she wore weren’t to the mark.  Maybe the director found satisfaction in her wearing sweatshirts, flannel (same flannel throughout the movie) and jean.

Vampire-Cullen Saga:
With every twilight film, I find myself really enjoying the Cullen family interactions- the beige contact lenses, deathly pallor, ghastly hairdo, brooding eyebrows and sparkling face continue to thrill me.  Something else I really liked in Eclipse was, how some of the supporting cast were given some time to shine. Jackson Rathbone as Jasper and Nikki Reed as Rosalie had some great scenes when they share their pre-vampire back stories. As always, Alice and Dr Carlisle Cullen were looking good onscreen.  The new cast for Victoria (some Bryce Dallas) makes a real impression in her looks, but I felt she was wasted in the movie.

Saga of interesting scenes:
The new born vampires headed by Victoria and the subsequent vampire action scenes were taken brilliantly.   The pre-vampire back stories of Jasper and Rosalie. The scene were Edward tries to control Bella’s sexual thoughts, and tells her that he wants to wait to have sex until marriage. “I’m from another time,” he says. “If I had met you then, I would have courted you.”
As lovely is the scene where Bella, Edy and Jac camp up in the mountain,  on a snow stormy day, while Edward is unable to comfort the shivering Bella, the warm blooded Jacob gets into the bed with Bella (to keep her warm).  “Face it” he tells Edy “I’m hotter than you”.  The long conversation goes, when Edward says to Jacob “If you were not my natural enemy, I might like you”.  Apart from this, the scene where werewolves and Cullens join hands to protect Bella, training session for werewolves and the climax battle, though short, where respectably thrilling. 

Overall:
I am not a Twilight “FAN” per se, but I "LIKE" twilight series – may be for the cullens, vampire-romance and the werewolves.  I found the action part more frequent and much better in this,which is a commendable addition by Director David Slade.    Eclipse is by far the best Twilight film to date, thanks to its strong and growing triangular love story.  Over and over again, Edward and Jacob square up; over and over again, they find themselves smoldering at each other, at close quarters; over and over again, Bella annoys!! And the pathetic BGM add glory to its many faults. Despite that, there is still something refreshing about Eclipse as most of the fantasy films.  If you’re into Twilight, then you must see this. For the rest, you can skip this one without shame.

Rating : 3.5 / 5

8 comments:

  1. Nice post!!

    he looked like a powder factory-

    She seems incapable of letting any of her million dollar expressions/ emotions cross her face-

    Gosh, I couldn't agree more!!

    But, I guess you're right, compared to the rest of the movies, or to the dullness of the book; this is was pretty good attempt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha. I know. Some people cannot accept this. But they are just my view. True. I wasn't motivated enough to read the book. It was so dragging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post influenced me enough to give the series a try, after having ignoring it since I read the first 10 pages of Twilight.

    Cant decide should I start with the books or the films?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moumita, you can probably watch them. Becoz with books, Twilight-good, New Moon-Avg, Eclipse-worse, Breakdawn-Awesome! If you have patience to go through this, you can definitely make a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha..moumita's doubt is genuine...even i had the same...first books or films? btw..thanks friend 4 passing by..keep the cheers n best wishes..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read twilight n loved it, Eclipse is not as good though ...havent seen any of the movies as yet. BTW I am torn between being team Edward or Team Jacob - I guess Im neutral :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Ruchira, "Torn between edward and Jacob" - like bella ;)
    I mostly like Edward's protectiveness, and the love he has for Bella! I like Jacob for his macho man types!

    ReplyDelete