Friday 12 March 2010

~ Turkish Delight ~ Part 1

My recent most trips were to Istanbul, and it’s so fresh in my mind that without any setback, I wanted to share my experiences. Istanbul now wears a pride on her sleeve with a brand new title as one of “European Capital of Culture in 2010” and it is a 100% justification. In all my European travel, there’s nothing as spectacular as the rich history of Istanbul. Apart from its historical and cultural marvel, the city is situated on 2 continents Asia and Europe, thus making Istanbul unrivaled, even geographically. Being a history and culture enthusiast myself, this is going to be my most unforgettable trips ever.


Before writing the comprehensive travelogue, I would like to share my general observations of the city. Though my stay was only for 3.5 days, I saw so many things, met so many people, made some friends and lived a Istanbulian life should I say.

The beautiful coastal line of the city, its jumbled houses and palaces along the shores, impressive domes and soaring minarets on all possible directions, traffic on the bridges and the honk sounds, ships and ferries all over the sea, busy sellers in the streets, umpteen tourists – Oh!! It’s truly a timeless city.

And I kept admiring its eternity throughout my travel, that it was a familiar city to zillions of travelers for more than 1000 years, and that the most greatest of the greatest empires such as Romans, Byzantines, Latins and Ottomans have lived and ruled the city for decades centuries, keeping Istanbul Constantinople as their capital. Empires and emperors may come and may go, but Istanbul lives forever; it has lived the history!!!

The bus and tram lines are so conveniently located close to the major attactions like any other european country.  But, the traffic is as crazy as in India, and it no way reflects Europe. Same with the housing structures, inviting and inducing shopkeepers. 

Like we hear the“Tea, Kaapi.. Tea Kaapi" sounds at our very own railway stations, and “Masala Vade….” at Renigunta station, one can hear “SSssssaaaaahleeeeeppppp” (Sahlep is a flavoured hot drink during winter). Chestnut sellers seen every 100 meters remainded me of Panipuri and Verkadalai sellers in India. I cannot complete my travelogue without mentioning the Turkish cuisine, which deserves a separate post.

During my stay there, surprisingly, I did not even meet a single Indian tourist out there. I should make a special mention about turkish people.  They were extremely friendly and helpful, irrespective of whether they knew English or not.  Every shopkeeper was able to identify us as Indians (which is very obvious!!), and were extremely friendly calling us as Bhai / Behenji. Raj Kapoor is so so famous in Turkey that his movies were remade in turkish during 60's, and 70's. And people can hymn some of his great songs especially “Awara hoon” both in Hindi as well as in Turkish. 

The city was flooded with tourists at this odd season, which we never expected. And a special mention about the weather.  It was -2 degrees freezing cold and windy.  So disappointed that I was not able to remove my jacket for even a single photo :(

So with this, I end my general observations. Until I meet you in my next post, "Güle Güle" *Sigh* (means “Bye Bye” in turkish)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment