Monday 25 January 2010

Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa Music Review - My Take

Warning: My ratings could be overrated. Nevertheless, I’ve tried my best not to be prejudiced.

Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa (called VTV henceforth) composed by ARR after winning his golden globe and Oscar awards, is definitely the much awaited album of this year. And a die-hard fan like me cannot wait listening to it.

VTV has been my daily suprabatham ever since the music album released. The very first time I listened to the entire track, I have to admit modestly, it was "truly mindblowing".
Omana Penne 
Anybody would love this song the first time they hear.  Benny Dayal’s voice is so apt, and he beautifes the song whenever he sings "Oooooooo”. Surprising elements are Kalyani Menon’s rendition and Nadhaswaram which blends effortlesslessly with the song. Rating: 9/10

Anbil Avan
A peppy number, one of my favorite songs in this whole album. Albeit nothing new in this song, the starting notes, the nadhaswaram wedding music in the middle, chorus and mridhangam backing up throughout the song is mind-blowing. Needless to say Chinmayi's sharp voice and Devan's frisky voice are catchy. Rating: 9/10

Vinnaithandi Varuvaaya
A slow melody sung by Karthik. The mesmerizing magical strings of Madras Mozart are soothing. I personally feel, ARR's voice could have been even apt for this song. Rating: 8/10

Hosanna
The most appealing track in the entire album. Vijay Prakash’s voice along with Plazey’s rap and the vocals humming “Hosanna”(male and female both) are alluring. The BGM of this song reminds me of “Azhagiya cindrella”(especially with female voice) and “Sonnalum Ketpadhillai”(the end portion of this song). Rating:10/10

Kannukkul kannai
Violin notes throughout the song + Naresh’s voice is a great plus to this song. Otherwise, it’s a mediocre track. Rating: 7/10

Mannipaaya
The first time I heard this song, I just fell in love with this number. Shreya and ARR’s voice is a perfect blend.  Although the early piano notes reminds me of “Hum Tum” title song and the flute entry reminds me of “Titanic”.
Rating: 9/10

Aaoramala
All-malayalam-words song” with the intelligent strike of chords – Again! The starting of the song sounds like pathos aka “oppari”. After listening the song for first few secords, I did not like this song until “Mangalyam thanthunanena” type music enters as “Swasthi swasthisu muhurtham..” in chorus. Then the song takes you to the effect of westernized music, leaves you the shades of “O Sweet Child of Mine” (Guns n Roses), back again with a chorus “Swasthi…” and ends with “oppari” again. This was the song I least liked earlier, and now one of the songs that I hymn very often. Different package of song. Rating: 9/10

Gosh!! I am typing the same kind of ratings and reviews for all the songs!  Least did I realise that.  But the album says it all. ARR has exploited guitar, keyboard, mridhangam, nadhaswaram and violin (ofcourse beautifully) in this movie to give a dashing instrumental entry for its songs.  Overall, it's a treat for ARR fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment